Do your kids – or students, neighbors, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren – know who they are? Do you know who you are? Not know as in I-understand-this-in-my-brain, but know as in I-live-into-this-truth-more-each-day.
A while back I wrote a post about five simple ways to connect your kids with the Bible as school starts. (Feel free to give it a read. I’ll wait.) While our family has done all of these in some form, the “new one” that Kari and I have been implementing is taping a Bible verse right in the middle of the bathroom mirror for the kids to see when they wake up.
It’s been very cool.
Not that it leads to a massively deep conversations everyday. But even when we don’t talk about it, I have noticed a change in my own thinking and intentionality toward prayer and the spiritual health of my family.
Where should I send your 49 Identity Messages eBook?
As I think about what verses to tape to the mirror, I frequently find myself landing on verses that remind them of who they are. It’s all about identity.
Bottom Line: I want my kids to know who they are, not just what they are supposed to do. This idea of focusing on identity instead of morality is something I write about in one of the chapters of my book Like Ice Cream: The Scoop on Helping the Next Generation Fall in Love with God’s Word.
As I was writing that chapter God put a thought in my head I’ve pondered regularly for several years now:
If we live from a place of identity – instead of morality – everything will be different.”
Easy to say. Harder to live out. (But so much better.)
The post from August generated several additional ideas in the comments (thank you readers), as well as many emails and Facebook comments and messages. Several of you asked, “Where do I start? Do you have a list of these verses that focus on identity?” Why yes…yes I do. This list is printed on pages 46-47 of Like Ice Cream, but I’ve written them here as well. You can certainly bookmark this post and come back when you need it.
Or…You could just download the free eBook I put together. Just click the big green button, read them, and then start sharing, speaking, and texting them to your kids.
Where should I send your 49 Identity Messages eBook?
Now the truths…
- You are a child of God. (I John 3:1)
- You may participate in the divine nature. (2 Peter 1:4)
- You have a mighty God who is for you…not against you. (Romans 8:31)
- You have been crucified with Christ and you no longer live, but Christ lives in you. (Galatians 2:20)
- You have access to the throne of God – where you can receive mercy and find grace. (Hebrews 4:16)
- You have been raised with Christ and seated with Him in the heavenly realm. (Ephesians 2:6)
- You are part of God’s family. (Hebrews 2:11)
- You have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ. (Ephesians 1:3)
- You have everything you need for life and godliness. (I Peter 1:3)
- You have been bought with a price. (I Corinthians 6:20)
- You were called to be free. (Galatians 5:13)
- You have been ransomed by the Son of God. (Matthew 20:28)
- You are not condemned. (Romans 8:1)
- You have been forgiven. (Acts 10:43)
- You have become the righteousness of God. (II Corinthians 5:21)
- You are God’s workmanship…His poem…His masterpiece. (Ephesians 2:10)
- You have been set free from the law of sin. (Romans 8:2)
- You have been made alive with Christ. (Ephesians 2:5)
- You have been given the authority of Christ. (Luke 10:19)
- You have been fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
- You are dead to sin and alive to God. (Romans 6:11)
- You were chosen by God before the creation of the world. (Ephesians 1:4)
- You are destined for glorious freedom. (Romans 8:21)
- You are a citizen of Heaven. (Philippians 3:20)
- You are more than a conqueror through Him who loved you. (Romans 8:37)
- You have been baptized with Christ and are now clothed with Christ. (Galatians 3:27)
- You have been brought from death to life. (Romans 6:13)
- You have been given the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth. (John 16:13)
- You have been redeemed and have the full rights of sons. (Galatians 4:5)
- You are protected by the powerful name of Jesus. (John 17:11)
- You have the power of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 1:8)
- You have a High Priest who is able to sympathize with your weaknesses. (Hebrews 4:15)
- You have the Holy Spirit interceding for you right now. (Romans 8:26)
- Your Lord is near. (Philippians 4:5)
- You are known. (Psalm 139:1)
- You cannot be separated from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:38-39)
- You are a work in progress – and you will be completed. (Philippians 1:6)
- You were loved by Jesus before you loved Him. (I John 4:19)
- You are not alone. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
- You have the full armor of God…
…the belt of truth
…the breastplate of righteousness
…the shoes of the gospel of peace
…the shield of faith
…the helmet of salvation
…the sword of the Spirit – the Word of God. (Ephesians 6:13-17)
- You have God’s angels sent to serve you. (Hebrews 1:14)
- Your needs will be met according to God’s glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
- You have a High Priest who always lives to intercede for you. (Hebrews 7:25)
- You have a God who has gone before you. (Psalm 59:10)
- You have a God who hears you. (I John 5:14)
- You cannot be snatched from God’s hand. (John 10:28-29)
- God is for you. (Psalm 56:9)
- You are Jesus’ joy. (Hebrews 12:2)
- You are loved. (John 3:16)
Other languages currently available (click title to open or right-click to save):
Would you like to translate 49 Identity Messages into another language. Let me know by clicking here.