Have you ever looked at someone else’s resume and thought, There’s no way God can use me?
Comparing yourself (which is always a bad idea by the way) has you focused on his brains, her skills, his looks, her ability, his connections, her opportunity, his luck…
Not too long ago, my pastor shared a list that starts to put all this in perspective a bit. I have added a few myself.
If God can use these people He can certainly use you and me.
- Noah was a drunk
- Abraham was too old
- Isaac was a daydreamer
- Jacob was a liar
- Leah was ugly
- Joseph was abused
- Moses had a stuttering problem
- Gideon was afraid
- Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
- Rahab was a prostitute
- Jeremiah was too young
- David was an adulterer (not to mention a murderer)
- Elijah was suicidal
- Isaiah preached naked
- Jonah ran from God
- Naomi was a widow
- Job went bankrupt
- John the Baptist ate bugs
- Andrew lived in the shadow of his big brother
- Peter denied Christ
- All the disciples fell asleep while praying (and ran away when Jesus really needed them.)
- Martha worried about everything
- The Samaritan woman was divorced (more than once)
- Mary Magdalene was demon-possessed
- Zaccheus was too small
- Timothy had an ulcer
- Paul was a Christian-killer
- Oh…and Lazarus was dead
Question: Who would you add to the list?