I have been trying to put this interview together for a long time. It finally happened last week. And I can’t wait for you to hear my interview with Ryan Frank. He is one of the Vice Presidents at AWANA as well as the founder and CEO of KidzMatter.
There are some big changes going on at AWANA. And they’re all really good! I have spoken at AWANA clubs and conferences many times over the last 15 years. While I’ve always loved what they stood for, truth-be-told I have struggled a bit with the methodology and focus (at least in my eyes) on memorization being more about “knowing the words” than “knowing the Word.”
So much of what they are focused on now is really about helping kids know, understand, and love the Word. They are also doing a lot to get parents involved and make it more about creating a customizable discipleship program rather than simply a Wednesday night club.
I’ll let Ryan tell you more. Give it a listen…
Main Topic: My interview with Ryan Frank (Vice President at AWANA and CEO of KidzMatter.com)
A sample of what Ryan and I discuss on the interview…
- The mistake AWANA was making for about 10 years and what they’re doing about it.
- The focus of AWANA – and how it’s changed.
- The new website and resources
- KidzMatter.com – An amazing resource for anyone involved in Kid/Children/Family Ministry. (Check out the Resource of the Week for how you can get a massive discount…if you want to check out the “pro” version.)
I mentioned that I would link to the new, revamped AWANA website and video overview. Clicking the picture below will take you right where you need to be! Fantastic!
Two of my favorite quotes from the interview…
AWANA is a discipleship strategy for ages 2-18. It’s not just about memorizing verses for two pieces of chocolate!”
70-80% of people who grew up in AWANA are still actively following Christ.”
How you can connect with Ryan…
- His blog: RyanFrank.com (Primarily focused on leadership, not AWANA or Family Ministry)
- You can also find Ryan on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
- He also has his own leadership podcast. If you have an iPod or iPhone, here’s the direct iTunes link.
Resource of the Week
There are literally thousands of lessons, videos, music, etc. Here’s a sample:
- FULL Curriculum – This iKnow!
- Kids’ Worship videos with lyrics
- Object lessons
- ViDevos (Lessons from popular YouTube Videos)
- Videos (Short films, Countdowns, Transition Videos, Training Videos)
- Games! (Camp, Ice Breakers, PowerPoint games, Stage games)
- So much more!
Don’t forget to use “KEITHFERRIN” as your Discount Code and get $100 off!
What book – other than the Bible – are you reading right now?”
The book I just finished (and can’t get out of my head) is The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller. If you have questions about why God allows suffering, past atrocities by the church, or the reality of hell (just to name a few light topics!), you should check it out. Deep, but not hard to follow.
Now that the 2014 Bible Read Thru is over, what are you doing for the rest of 2014?”
In the last several weeks, I have written a blog post and devoted a podcast episode to this topic. But I haven’t answered the question directly when it comes to what I’M doing. In the podcast episode I give five ideas for summer Bible reading. Each one can be completed in eight weeks.
I have decided to modify #1 and spend the rest of 2014 hanging out in the Book of Acts. I have read it through a few times and will now focus on 4-6 chapters each month. I’m really excited. Anyone want to join me?
Can I answer your question on a future episode?
I have several ways you can submit a question – or an idea for an episode topic:
- Call the dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- Shoot me an email: podcast– at – keithferrin.com
- Record a voicemail – up to 90 seconds – at www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin.
- Send a message through my Facebook Page
- Send a message though my Contact Page
- Leave a comment here on this page.
Links (People, Info, and Resources) from Episode 27:
- Ryan Frank’s personal blog.
- AWANA – This is the brand new website with tons of videos, resources, and info about AWANA’s ministry around the globe. Good stuff.
- KidzMatter – The free site with resources, blogs, etc.
- KidzMatterPro – The membership site with over 5,000 downloadable resources. Don’t forget to use Discount Code “KEITHFERRIN” for $100 off!
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Tim Keller
- Direct link to this podcast on iTunes.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Subscribing to Any Podcast on Any Device (with screen shots)
- Podcast Art – Pipe & Tabor (Vancouver, WA)
- Intro/Outro Music – Dan Carollo of CeltoGrass Music