If I told you there was one simple trick that would help you remember 650% more of what you read in the Bible, would help you enjoy your Bible more, and it wouldn’t require adding any more time to the Bible reading you’re already doing – would you do it?
Today’s episode takes a look at the one trick that will do just that. And most of us aren’t doing it.
This episode is completely devoted to one, simple practice that I use every single day.
Read out loud.
There are three enormous benefits to reading out loud:
- You will focus more easily. Episode 006 was devoted entirely to the universal struggle with “The Wandering Mind.” In that episode I look at my #1 strategy for overcoming it. Reading out loud is #2.
- You will hear the Bible differently. So often, Mr. Monotone reads the Bible silently in our heads. And yet, different parts of the Bible are very different. They should sound very different. I use an example from Philippians and Galatians.
- You will remember more of what you read. In this section I look at the a report that was done on juror retention, and how massively memory is increased when hearing is combined with seeing (reading).
Resource of the Week (Listen at 3:57)
It is a fabulous overview of the structure, people, places, and events of the whole Bible. His promise is: Give me 30 days and I’ll give you an understanding of the Bible.
This book delivers.
- Here’s a link to the book on Amazon.
- Here’s a link to the free preview.
- Here’s a link to Max’s discipleship website.
By the way, if you know Max, tell him to give me a call. I think it would be cool to do an interview with him sometime.
- Cindy asks “Every time the Bible says “you” does it mean “me?” (Listen at 23:12) Short answer: No. I give a bit longer answer during the podcast. 🙂
Can I answer your question on a future episode?
I have several ways you can submit a question – or an idea for an episode topic:
- Call the dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- Shoot me an email: podcast– at – keithferrin.com
- Record a voicemail – up to 90 seconds – at www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin.
- Leave a comment here on this page.
The Next Episode:
- 1 Way Your Study Bible Might Be Hurting Your Relationship with God. We will unpack Tip #7 from my new book.
What question would you like me to answer on the next episode (or a future episode)?
Links (People, Info, and Resources) from Episode 009:
- This episode is based on Tip #6from my newest book – 10 Tips for Liking the Bible (Because Believing It’s True Is Not Enough)
- Christian Teachers Convention – This is where I spent an amazing two days with 1300 Christian school teachers and administrators. Two words: Blown. Away.
- 30 Days to Understanding the Bible – by Max Anders
- Podcast artwork – Brian Gage at Pipe & Tabor.
- Intro/Outro music – Dan Carollo of CeltoGrass Music.
Help spread the word!
- If you enjoyed this episode, would you do me a favor and share the love? (pre-written tweets and Facebook posts)
- Or…write a quick review or rate this podcast on iTunes?
- Or…you can TWEET THIS:
“Struggle with LIKING the Bible? Want to like it more? Check out @KeithFerrin’s podcast http://wp.me/P2rPgQ-FS #LikeTheBible”