“Do you struggle with your mind wandering when you read the Bible?”
I have asked this exact question hundreds of times to thousands of people. Without fail, a vast majority of eyes roll and heads nod.
If you rolled your eyes, sighed, and nodded your head when you read that question (or even the title to this post), this episode is for you.
Here is a taste of what you’ll find in this episode:
- An answer to the question: “WHY does my mind wander when I read the Bible, but not when I read other books. This is huge. And the answer is something I never knew until I had been hanging out with Jesus for 20 years!
- Three specific times when prayer is most effective at helping you focus. A simple prayer before we start is often not enough to keep you focused, right? Me neither. Praying before we start is important, but there are two other times we need to pray if we are going to improve in this area.
- A specific prayer you can use. I discuss the prayer about 25 minutes into this episode. I have also put the prayer in these notes. (Scroll down a couple inches and look for the green box.)
Resource of the Week
If you haven’t read “Love Does” by Bob Goff, do it. Encouraging. Challenging. Laugh-out-loud funny. One of the best books I’ve read in the last couple years.
- Brenda asks: “What is the best translation for ‘the whole story?'” Due to the fact that I get asked this question at least once a month, I will eventually do an entire episode on this question. Consider this the Reader’s Digest version.
Can I answer your question on a future episode?
I have several ways you can submit a question – or an idea for an episode topic:
- Call the dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- Shoot me an email: podcast– at – keithferrin.com
- Record a voicemail – up to 90 seconds – at www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin.
- Leave a comment here on this page.
The Prayer (from Minute 25 in the podcast)
Lord Jesus, help me remember what I have read here this morning. Let’s talk about this again throughout the day. Bring it to my mind as I have periods of down time. When I’m driving my car, eating my lunch, or brushing my teeth. Remind me of Your Word as I face situations where Your Word would bring needed comfort, a helpful reminder, valuable instruction, or even necessary correction. Let your Word saturate my thoughts and attitudes.
The Next Episode:
- A book of the Bible is like a movie. Watch the whole thing before you study the scenes! We will unpack Tip #4 from my new book.
What ONE QUESTION would you like me to answer on the next episode (or a future episode)?
Links (People, Info, and Resources) from Episode 006:
- This episode is based on Tip #3 from my newest book – 10 Tips for Liking the Bible (Because Believing It’s True Is Not Enough)
- I mention Jubilee Service Day in the introduction. Check it out. Very, very cool.
- Bob Goff is the author of Love Does: Discover a Secretly Amazing Life in an Ordinary World.
- New page with pre-loaded Facebook posts and tweets. Just click and “share the love!”
- Podcast artwork – Brian Gage at Pipe & Tabor.
- Intro/Outro music – Dan Carollo of CeltoGrass Music.
[callout]Help spread the word!
- If you enjoyed this episode, would you do me a favor and write a review or rate this podcast on iTunes?
- Or…you can TWEET THIS:
‘Struggle with LIKING the Bible? Want to like it more? Check out @KeithFerrin’s podcast http://wp.me/P2rPgQ-FS #LikeTheBible'[/callout]