Have you ever had one of those conversations that encouraged you, challenged you, surprised you, and kicked you in the trailer all at the same time?
I had a conversation like that last week. In fact, I had two!
Here’s a short video (or you can skip and keep reading if you’re not the “video type”).
In Episode 002, I mentioned my plan was to devote Episodes 002-011 to each of the ten tips in my new book, 10 Tips for Liking the Bible (Because Believing It’s True Is Not Enough). I will get back to that with Episode 005, but these conversations couldn’t wait.
As you may know, I had the chance to speak to middle school (and some high school) students last week at Cascades Camp in Yelm, WA – at the foot of Mt. Rainier.
While I was there, I asked the S.A.L.T. team – Servant And Leadership Training – if they would sit down and have a candid conversation about how they really felt about the Bible.
Little did I know exactly how candid they would be!
It was amazing. There were about a dozen high school students and two of their leaders who are college students. (NOTE: I had the same conversation with a group of the middle school students. That conversation will be Episode 004 – available on August 7, 2013.)
- How often do you read the Bible?
- When was the last time you read the Bible on your own?
- What is your biggest struggle with the Bible?
- What do you wish grownups knew about how teens feel about the Bible?
- What do you wish your youth pastor – or parents – did differently when it comes to talking about the Bible? (This one blew me away!)
Boy, do I wish I had heard this when I was a youth pastor.
Speaking of youth pastors, if you know one, would you forward them a link – www.keithferrin.com/003 – to this episode? Come to think of it, how about shooting this to anyone you know who is a parent of a high school student? I’ll make it really easy:
Do you know how HS students REALLY feel about the Bible? Check out this candid interview by @KeithFerrin. www.KeithFerrin.com/003
You can also click here to share this post on Facebook…or copy/paste it into an email if you want to add a personal note.
If you want to listen here on the blog, the “Play” button is right at the top. You can also subscribe for free on iTunes. If you don’t use iTunes – or don’t know anything about subscribing to podcasts on a mobile device – I created this handy, dandy Step-by-Step Guide to Subscribing to Any Podcast On Any Device.
Due to the length of the conversation with the high school students – 59 minutes! – I did not add listener questions to this episode. However…
Can I answer your question on a future episode?
I have several ways you can submit a question – or an idea for an episode topic:
- Call the dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- Shoot me an email: keith – at – keithferrin.com
- If you’re reading this on the blog, simply click the tab on the right that says “Send Voicemail.” (Up to 90 seconds) Or go straight to www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin.
- Leave a comment here on this page.
The Next Two Episodes:
- How Do Middle Schoolers REALLY Feel About the Bible?
- The impact of expectations on how much – or little – we enjoy the Bible.
What questions would you like me to answer on a future episode?
Links (People, Info, and Resources) from Episode 003:
- Cascades Camp & Conference Center. This is one of my family’s favorite places on earth. It’s also where this conversation took place.
- My new book – 10 Tips for Liking the Bible (Because Believing It’s True Is Not Enough)
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Subscribing to Any Podcast on Any Device
- Leave me question/comment/idea (90 seconds): www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin
- Dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line (No time limit…but be nice!): (425) 522-3487
- Podcast artwork – Brian Gage at Pipe & Tabor.
- Intro/Outro music – Dan Carollo of CeltoGrass Music.