Why do you read the Bible?
This is the question I start with on this episode of the Falling in Love with God’s Word Podcast. I have asked this question hundreds of times to thousands of people. I have yet to hear the answer I would love to hear:
I read the Bible to hang out with God.
This episode explores how to have a “relational” mindset when we read the Word. It ends up making all the difference, no matter what form or structure of Bible study you use.
This Episode Covers…
- A question (Hint: It’s the same one that’s at the top of this page.)
- A pet peeve. This is something that drives me crazy about when we talk about having a “relationship with Jesus.”
- Picture #1: You, God, and a cup of coffee.
- Picture #2: You and God…playing.
NOTE: Both of these will likely end up as the subject for entire episodes in the future!
How do you structure a daily quiet time without just relying on a devotional?
The answer to this one comes in the form of two keys: Variety and Mindset. Both will have a huge impact no matter what structure you end up using.
How do I find the balance between Bible study and listening to God?
This is a huge one and needs to be asked and addressed regularly – rather than being something we can simply “answer” and then move on.
Since listening is the most difficult of the two (for most people) I look at a couple options for getting started. The first has to do with time in your car. The second is about practicing silence. I highly recommend the resource Invitation to Silence and Solitude: Experiencing God’s Transforming Presence by Ruth Haley Barton.
Can I answer YOUR QUESTION on a future episode?
I have several ways you can submit a question – or an idea for an episode topic:
- Call the dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- Shoot me an email: keith – at – keithferrin.com
- If you’re reading this on the blog, simply click the tab on the right that says “Send Voicemail.” (Up to 90 seconds) Or go straight to www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin.
- Leave a comment here on this page.
The Next Two Episodes:
- The impact of expectations on how much – or little – we enjoy the Bible.
- The importance of having a strategy when it comes to reading the Bible.
What questions would you like me to answer about these two topics?
Links (People, Info, and Resources) from Episode 002:
- Cascades Camp & Conference Center. This is the place I mention in the intro where my family attended Family Camp last week. It is also where I am currently speaking to 6th-9th Graders!
- My new book – 10 Tips for Liking the Bible (Because Believing It’s True Is Not Enough)
- Invitation to Silence and Solitude: Experiencing God’s Transforming Presence by Ruth Haley Barton
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Subscribing to Any Podcast on Any Device
- Leave me question/comment/idea: www.speakpipe.com/keithferrin
- Dedicated Podcast Voicemail Line: (425) 522-3487
- My podcast artwork – as well as my website, book covers, etc. – was done by Brian Gage at Pipe & Tabor. He’s outstanding at what he does (and an all-around great guy). Tell him I sent you.
- Intro/Outro music – The guitar music in the intro and outro of the podcast was written by my friend Dan Carollo of CeltoGrass Music. Fantastic musician.
Photo Credit: Stuart Miles via www.freedigitalphotos.net.